Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Out sick with a cold

I am home sick today. I have a terrible cold. I received this cold from Justin who is one of my kids at school. I do not understand why some parents will keep their kids home for no reason at all ("The cable guy was due today so I couldn't bring him in.") and other parents send their kids even if they child is on a gurney with an IV stuck in their little arm. So, because Justin came to school with this dreaded disease I ache all over, have a runny nose, cough and am freezing to death.



It is still cold and rainy here. I don't remember when we have gotten so much rain. The kids are going crazy which means they are driving us nuts because they can't go outside. Then when it isn't raining and it is just cold out we take our kids out and parents complain because they think we are making them sick. Have I mentioned lately that it is the parents who drive me crazy and not the kids.



What have I been doing all day? Sleeping has filled a lot of my time. Watching Charlie Chaplin movies and knitting on this:




It is a shawl I am knitting for myself to wear around the house. The color didn't come out right. It is purple with shades of blue knitted into it. I got the pattern from "200 Ripple Stitch Patterns" by Jan Eaton. One of my favorite books which I have used several times. The pattern is called "Soft Chevrons", it is turning out to be very easy and relaxing so I am enjoying making it. I have several different kinds of lace weight yarn that I am thinking about using in one of the patterns from this book; I just haven't decided which pattern.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. I joined two book clubs on Ravelry and have to read everyday to keep up. One of them tells us what book to read and the other we make a challenge for ourselves and try to meet that challenge. I am going to try to read 50 books this year. That's almost a book a week. Fortunately, we can count books on tape, which I listen to while going to and from work and at lunch. I think I am going to post here the really good books I read, maybe someone out there will enjoy them too.

The first book is "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. This is one of the books we are required to read for one of the book clubs. Even though it is for a young adult it kept me interested throughout the whole book. It is about a young girl who is raised by foster parents in Nazi Germany. She goes through many terrible and exciting adventures in her young life, one such adventure is when her foster parents hide a Jewish man in their basement. A very good book and it shows us a side of Germany during that time which we don't usually see. I enjoyed it and am happy that I read it.

So, that is about all I can do today. Back to laying under the covers and knitting. I think I am going to watch "Giant" if I can stay awake. Take care everyone and be nice to each other.

No comments: